It's easy to find a mesothelioma attorney. What's not easy is finding one who has the expertise, knowhow, skill and backing to win your case. When it comes to hiring a mesothelioma attorney, you don't want an average attorney; you need an attorney who is skilled in the complexities of asbestos-related law, is current on the latest legal proceedings and can maneuver around a courtroom with skill and finesse. You need an attorney will take your special circumstances under consideration when filing a claim and will treat you like a person, not a court case.
A diagnosis of mesothelioma can be devastating and overwhelming for an entire family. Caused by asbestos exposure, mesothelioma is known to take 20 to 50 years to manifest. And by the time it's diagnosed, the treatment options are often very limited. This leaves families devastated, not just from the emotional despair a terminal illness brings but also the huge financial burden.
It is important to remember that many states have statutes of limitation for filing lawsuits, which only allow patients and their families a set period of time to file a claim following a diagnosis. In some states, that timeframe is as short as one year. That's why it is important to act as soon as possible after a diagnosis.
Finding the Best Attorney
In searching for your best mesothelioma lawyer, there are certain things to keep in mind:
- Ask your potential attorney a lot of questions. Don't be afraid to inquire about the attorney's college background and work experience. Find out exactly how many cases the attorney has handled. Make sure your attorney is skilled in the area of asbestos law and the intricacies around it.
- Determine the outcome of the attorney's cases. It's not good enough just to know your attorney has mesothelioma court experience. You need to be sure those cases were successful. Determine how many cases have gone to trial and find out about out-of-court settlements. Find out how many of the cases are under appeal.
- Ask about the attorney's availability and openness. It is important to work with an attorney who will have time for you. Find out if they will answer your calls directly or have a colleague answer them.
- Ensure your case will be take on a contingency basis. Because these case can be expensive to investigate and organization, ensure that you won't have any out-of-pocket expenses. Most qualified attorneys will take your case on a contingency basis, only taking payment if you get a financial settlement.
- Discuss the possibility of filing a private lawsuit over a class action. Often, private lawsuits have better financial outcomes, but class actions may also have benefits. Talk to the attorney about the pros and cons of both.
Choosing a Mesothelioma Law Firm
When you ultimately settle on an attorney, know that you are not just hiring one attorney but the entire firm and its reputation. Our entire law firm is known nationwide for its dedication to individualized attention. Many large firms have a single attorney handling dozens of cases; each of our attorneys take on a maximum of seven cases at a time. This allows them to focus on each person's distinct circumstance.
It's also important to find a firm that specializes in just mesothelioma trial law and has the record of success to prove it. We won't just tell you we have a track record, we can prove it. Our recoveries page illustrates several examples of the expertise we will bring to your mesothelioma case.